Re: Question about GtkComboBox

Hi, Robert,

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM, Robert Pearce
<rob bdt-home demon co uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 22:46:30 -0800 Igor wrote:
>> Hi, ALL,
>> I am using GtkComboBox and I need to show the dropdown
>> list in my program.
>>
>> I found a function gtk_combo_box_popup() but the documentation
>> says that it should be used for the accessibility purposes.
>>
>> Does this mean I can't use it? And if I can't what are the drawbacks?
>
> I don't know if this was the intent, but I've always interpreted that
> note as meaning you shouldn't normally ever need to programmatically
> show the drop-down because when the user wants to see it she will click
> on the arrow and GTK will take care of it. The author could think of
> one obvious exception, which was a user whose disability prevented use
> of the mouse, who might then need some accessibility tool to drive the
> UI in other ways.
>
> Assuming you have a good reason to deviate from the usual paradigm of
> comboboxes then I don't think that note was intended to ban your use of
> that function. It is, possibly, intended to encourage you to consider
> carefully whether you really want to break the paradigm.

I can think of one example where it could be useful.
I think I read about it in one of the books. The book called "Visual C++ MFC
Programming by Example".
I'm talking about dynamically filling the combo box.
I can catch the "notification:popdown/popup" signal, but if I want to
write a unit
test for this I should be able to imitate this behaviour programmatically.
Now in case the user of my program is disabled there is a special library
I can link with and use that will allow to work with such features of GTK+.

Am I right?

Thank you.