Re: Question about GtkComboBox

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 22:46:30 -0800 Igor wrote:
> Hi, ALL,
> I am using GtkComboBox and I need to show the dropdown
> list in my program.
>
> I found a function gtk_combo_box_popup() but the documentation
> says that it should be used for the accessibility purposes.
>
> Does this mean I can't use it? And if I can't what are the drawbacks?

I don't know if this was the intent, but I've always interpreted that
note as meaning you shouldn't normally ever need to programmatically
show the drop-down because when the user wants to see it she will click
on the arrow and GTK will take care of it. The author could think of
one obvious exception, which was a user whose disability prevented use
of the mouse, who might then need some accessibility tool to drive the
UI in other ways.

Assuming you have a good reason to deviate from the usual paradigm of
comboboxes then I don't think that note was intended to ban your use of
that function. It is, possibly, intended to encourage you to consider
carefully whether you really want to break the paradigm.

HTH
Rob