Tearoff menus

Hi everyone. In the past I remember using tear-off menus in GTK+ applications
frequently. Today I wanted to use a badly designed GTK+ application with a huge
menu system, and discovered that I cannot actually detach menus anymore. In
fact, the only GTK+ application having tear-off menus that I could find on my
system is DIA (non-gnome version).

How can I force _ALL_ menus to be tear-off?

The GtkUiManager::add-tearoffs property doesn't seem to do absolutely nothing.

Thanks