Experimenting with no gtk_main()

I am trying to control gtk from a specific thread in another language, I don't want a blocking call like gtk_main() because I want the thread to interact with other threads periodically. I am trying to keep the C side code to a minimum .

I found some examples on the net like this:

   while (gtk_events_pending())
    gtk_main_iteration();

They work fine but I guess this is not designed to replace gtk_main just to update the gui during some other process.

I tried this:

or

    while ( TRUE )
        gtk_events_pending () ;
        gtk_main_iteration ();

It runs but there is no window despite having a gtk_widget_show_all call before hand.

Could anyone give me some pointers on running gtk without gtk_main ?

Thanks for reading-Patrick