WHy do gtk apps ignore subpixel hinting

Hi,

I am running Fedora-15 + xfce on my laptop with rgb subpixel hinting enabled,
however it seems all gtk2/gtk3 applications ignore that setting and
apply grayscale hinting instead.
However non-gtk apps like firefox and qt apps and even java apps apply
subpixel hinting correctly:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_6JfvVYqmzVVMkb1HSxaPiaiz_J7JUdoc8VSAN3rP2s?feat=directlink

I already had the same problem with Fedora-14 running KDE, however
I've switched to xfce and
as most apps are now gtk based the problem is more annoying.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
Do I really need the gnome-settings daemon in order to get subpixel hinting?

I clearly remember this used to work with Fedora-13, but with
upgrading or somewhere in the F14 cycle broke.

Thank you in advance, Clemens