How can i set an idle handler that fires when no modal dialog is shown?

Hello Gtk-list,

I have a background thread that can fire a gui task by using
"g_idle_add". But i don't want the task run when there is a
modal dialog or a drag&drop operation in progress.

In other words the user shouldn't be interrupted when doing something.
I thought that "gtk_main_level" would tell me if a modal window is up
but it doesn't. For me it always returns 1.

Any ideas?

I can't add code around the parts that run modal dialogs because i'm
not in full control of the complete source code.

--
Best regards,
 Lothar                          mailto:llothar web de