Re: gtkmm3?

On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 22:11 -0400, Josh Bialkowski wrote:
> I was reading the gtkmm book and when I hit the clock example for
> drawing widgets with cairo, I realized that this was exactly what I was
> looking for (i.e. wanting to draw widgets with cairo). It was only after
> I couldn't get the example to compile that I noticed the note that it
> was for gtkmm3 not gtkmm2 (after all, I guess gtk3 is where all the
> cairo drawing is at anyway).

Yes, you were probably looking at this, for gtkmm-3.0:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtkmm-tutorial/unstable/sec-drawing-clock-example.html.en

But maybe you want to look at this instead, for gtkmm-2.4:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtkmm-tutorial/stable/sec-drawing-clock-example.html.en

>  Anyway, so my question is, where is gtkmm3?
> I downloaded gtkmm-2.90.7, 2.91.7, and 2.99.5 guessing that these might
> be develoment snapshots and gtkmm3 doesn't actually exist yet.

These are unstable versions of the gtkmm-3.0 API, yes.

>  They're
> promising because the configure script seems to require gtk3, but I
> can't seem to build any of them.
>
> Anyway, so is gtkmm3 without a stable branch at this moment? If so, how
> stable are the unstable branches? Should I be able to build and use
> them?

No, gtkmm 3 is not stable yet. Hopefully it will be soon.

>  Or is the book just ahead of the game?

We update the book as the gtkmm API changes. The stable versions still
exist.

There is a gtkmm-list mailing list, by the way.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com