Re: Compiling a GTK application on windows

Hello Gang,

Wednesday, June 1, 2011, 9:44:02 AM, you wrote:

GC> Hi Lothar,

GC> Thank you for your information! Maybe they are not so bad for me. My
GC> app has a simple GUI, and uses a drawing area to display text with
GC> some decorations. If my app can work fine on windows, linux and OSX
GC> without too many hacking efforts, I'll be satisfactory. Actually, my
GC> main concerns are about multithreading (I chose to use boost::thread
GC> and boost::threadpool) and gtkmm (it seems to be incomplete; not sure
GC> about its quality).

If you want multithreading in the GUI it will be very primitive with
GTK. You have to lock the complete GTK system, this means you will
never ever get a speed increase. On my CPU the drawing can never be
more then 12,5% CPU Load - thats what i call bad.

You can move away from Pango and only use Cairo and the toy text API
of cairo which seems to be multithread safe. Or wait a half year,
somebody just started working on MT-safe Pango but it takes time until
tested, proofed to work and the patch is included the main code line.

--
Best regards,
 Lothar                            mailto:llothar web de