Running GTK+-3 applications under gnome-2.30

Hi,

I have been porting two applications written for GTK+-2 to GTK+-3.  In
doing so I have noticed that applications linked against GTK+-2.91
won't work correctly if run under gnome-2-30.  This is not a question of
inadvertently linking the executable to both GTK+-2 and GTK+-3: the
mere act of running it under gnome-2 causes a GType error as soon as
any button is pressed or similar action carried out, as follows:

GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `GdkDrawable'

GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value !=
0' failed

Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_drawable_get_screen: assertion
`GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed C

This did not occur with GTK+-2.90.

In order to go through 'port and test' cycles for GTK+-2.91 I have
therefore had to use some other desktop such as XFCE or KDE, where I
am glad to say the appliations concerned work fine (once I had worked
out how the new GtkWidget 'draw ' signal works, which has wrong
and misleading documentation provided for it).

Possibly this is something to do with the gnome settings daemon.  Has
anyone found a way of running GTK+-2.91 applications under gnome?

Chris