GTK+ 2.90.0 released
- From: Matthias Clasen <mclasen redhat com>
- To: gnome-announce-list gnome org, gtk-devel-list gnome org, gtk-app-devel-list gnome org, gtk-list gnome org
- Subject: GTK+ 2.90.0 released
- Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 00:51:49 -0400
GTK+ 2.90.0 is now available for download at:
This is the first development release leading toward 3.0.
* GTK+ 3 will be parallel installable with GTK+ 2.x, and
this release has been prepared to test this by renaming
all .pc files, libraries, include paths, and so forth,
to include a '3.0' component.
* GTK+ 3 will remove deprecated API from the GTK+ 2.x series
and make struct members unavailable that have been GSEALed
in 2.x. Therefore, applications can be prepared for porting
to GTK+ 3 by making sure that they build with
* Bugs should be reported to http://bugzilla.gnome.org.
What is GTK+
GTK+ is a multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical user
interfaces. Offering a complete set of widgets, GTK+ is suitable for
projects ranging from small one-off tools to complete application
GTK+ has been designed from the ground up to support a range of
languages, not only C/C++. Using GTK+ from languages such as Perl and
Python (especially in combination with the Glade GUI builder) provides
an effective method of rapid application development.
GTK+ is free software and part of the GNU Project. However, the
licensing terms for GTK+, the GNU LGPL, allow it to be used by all
developers, including those developing proprietary software, without
any license fees or royalties.
Where to get more information about GTK+
Information about GTK+ including links to documentation can be
An installation guide for GTK+ 2.x is found at:
GTK+ is a large project and relies on voluntary contributions.
We are actively searching for new contributors in various areas
and invite everyone to help project development.
If you are willing to participate, please subscribe to the project
mailing lists to offer your help and read over our list of vacant
Overview of Changes from GTK+ 2.20.x to 2.90.0
* GtkExtendedLayout: Width-for-height geometry management.
This change is known to currently cause minor problems in
some applications, see
617444 GNU emacs warnings with extended layout GTK+
617556 inkscape toolbars broken with extended layout
* gtk_icon_theme_load_symbolic: Support for 'symbolic' icons
* Applications can indicate their preference for a dark theme
variant by setting GtkSettings::gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme
* GtkTreeModelFilter can be more usefully subclassed
* Tooltip positioning has been changed to make it less likely
that the tooltip covers up the widget that it relates to
* Deprecated functions have been removed (though some more work
remains to be done in GDK)
* This release is parallel installable with GTK+ <= 2.22, by renaming
.pc files, libraries, include paths, module paths, gtkrc files, etc
to include a '3.0' in its name.
* Updated translations:
Thanks to all contributors:
Tristan Van Berkom
John (J5) Palmieri
May 11, 2010
] [Thread Prev