Re: gtk on win32

Hi Jorge,

On 29.03.2010 at 14:57 Jorge Opaso Pazos wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>
>Can I use GTK and all its dependencies to develop Windows applications at
>production level? That is a general question, no about a particular
>versions.
>I have to make a decision, because a new project I'm participating
>(commercial application).

It generally works quite good but be prepared to fix bugs that you might
discover in the gtk Windows backend on your own. I discovered quite some
critical bugs (total app freeze, cursor keys misbehaviour, mouse handler bugs)
but nobody seems to have any time to fix them although these are really
critical things that should have high-priority.

But it would be unfair to complain about this because gtk is free software and
most people work on it in their spare time without getting a penny for their work.
And its primary target is Linux after all. Everybody has the sourcecode, so everybody
can fix things that don't work. Just be prepared that if you encounter bugs in the
Windows gtk, you might have to dive into the gtk sourcecode on your own and
fix things.

Also, gtk 2.16 has less issues on Windows than the 2.18 issues AFAICS.

Greets,

Andreas
--
"Remember: It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"