Re: Sending GdkEvents to Gtk Widget

Hi Bharathwaaj,

Bharathwaaj Srinivasan <bharathwaaj s gmail com> writes:

> Hi Andy,
>
> I couldn't understand the meaning of serializeEvent.
Because it's Haskell. :)

I will explain at below.

> But still I simply tried the following in the socket source callback from GLib.
>
>             GdkEvent event;
>             memset(&event, 0, sizeof(GdkEvent));
>             event.key.type = GDK_KEY_PRESS;
>             event.key.keyval = GDK_Tab;
>             event.key.send_event = TRUE;
This is wrong,
you should get field value from event that return by signal "key_press_event",
and not build those filed by yourself.
Then you can send *all* GdkEvent to another process, and not just Tab key.

Here is C structure of GdkEventKey:

typedef struct {
  GdkEventType type;
  GdkWindow *window;
  gint8 send_event;
  guint32 time;
  guint state;
  guint keyval;
  gint length;
  gchar *string;
  guint16 hardware_keycode;
  guint8 group;
  guint is_modifier : 1;
} GdkEventKey;

On *server* process, you should hang some function on singal
"key_press_event", then you can get keyPress event when you typing
something at server side.

Then you need pick-up public field from keyPress event.
Example:

    ... singalEvent is get in "key_press_event" signal ...

    serialize_event_type = signalEvent.key.type
    serialize_event_keyval = signalEvent.key.keyval
    serialize_event_send_event = signalEvent.key.send_event

Note, you need serialize *all* public field in GdkEventKey except
*GdkWindow* field.

Because, when you send event to *client* process, you want propagate
event in *client* process, so you need *client* process widget GdkWindow
and not *server* one.

After you serialize event value, you need send to network, below i
explain how to handle at client side.

>             gdk_threads_enter();
>             printf("Sending Tab event to gtk_idle_add_full\n");
>             gtk_idle_add_full(G_PRIORITY_DEFAULT, (GSourceFunc)gtk_main_do_event, NULL, &event,
> NULL);
>             gdk_threads_leave();
>
> This also lead to the same behaviour. The WebKit Gtk main window freezed from responding for further
> events.
Because you haven't set field GdkWindow of GdkEventKey, it's 0 by your
memset.

When you call gtk_main_do_event, gtk_main_do_event will
lookup GdkWindow field to decide which widget need receive event, since
GdkWindow field is 0, your *client* process will freezed.

So client should do like this.

1) When your *client* receive serialize event from network, then use
below code to fill all flied except *GdkWindow* field:

    GdkEvent event;
    memset(&event, 0, sizeof(GdkEvent));
    event.key.type = serialize_event_type
    event.key.keyval = serialize_event_keyval
    event.key.send_event = serialize_event_send_event

2) Then fill *GdkWindow* field with client widget.

    You need get GdkWindow pointer from WebKit widget.

    widget_window_ptr = webkitWidget.window

    Then fill event GdkWindow field with webkit GdkWindow pointer.

    event.key.window = widget_window_ptr

That's all.

Cheers,

  -- Andy