Re: icon path other than /usr/share/icons

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Chris Vine <chris cvine freeserve co uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 14:04:05 -0700
> Philip Brown <phil bolthole com> wrote:
>> I'm compiling a gtk-based set of libraries under /opt, rather than the
>> usual. Things are going fairly well, except that it seems to keep
>> looking for icons under /usr/share/icons
>
> You probably need to set XDG_DATA_DIRS and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS.

Hmm. okay, thanks for that suggestion, to override whatever is in the libs
But since I'm a sysadmin compiling these libs, etc for other people,
I'd really appreciate some tips on what I may need to recompile, so
that /opt is the *default*, rather than using env overrides.

I see in http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.5.html

that, "If $XDG_DATA_DIRS is either not set or empty, a value equal to
/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/ should be used."

but I'd like to know what library/.... is implementing this in or
under gtk,  so I can FIX it :-}

I should mention that my /opt/xxx compile, is a sidegrade to older
legacy stuff still living in /usr/share. So it's not okay to have the
'new' stuff default to checking there first :-(