question about middlemouse paste buffer

Hi,

I'm looking to find out if there is or ever could be a way to configure the button that the highlight paste buffer responds to, without forcing xinput to misreport button clicks--that is, I'd like mouse button 6 or 7 to perform the paste action, not button 2, but I still want firefox's middle click functionality to be performed on a middle click.

Googling and reading through FAQs showed some methods to swap buttons using xinput, but no way to actually change what button press triggers this action. Is it hard coded?

Is this an application level thing, or is it in fact triggered by GTK+? Can it be changed to use a configurable accelerator such as ctrl+v/shift+ins pasting?

Any answers are greatly appreciated, and if my questions are at all unclear, let me know.

Thanks,
-Adrian