GtkTreeView and column width measurements

I'm trying to auto-resize GtkTreeView columns based on the width of
the GtkTreeView but am not finding any API functions for doing so.  My
problem is as follows:

- I have 4 columns
- initial widths are 196 8 8 8
    The problem here is that I'm basing the width of the first column
on the view size minus the total width of the last 3 columns.  These
last 3 columns initially have a width of 8, but when the first row is
inserted, they become 30 because they adapt the first time any data is
shown.  Is there a way I can have them start at the proper width, that
is the width after the first row is inserted?

- next problem is that I want to resize the first column when more or
less space because available, but I'm not finding any function for
explicitly setting the width of a column in GtkTreeView,
GtkTreeViewColumn, or GtkCellRenderer.  Any ideas?

thanks,
wes