text view and right-click copy

Hi list,
I have a widget with a GtkTextView.  When text is in it and I right
click to copy the selected characters, I'm getting all kinds of
assertion errors and SIGABRT signals.  I haven't modified any default
behavior of the widget and my text writing functions are always ending
by scrolling the widget to the last line by calling
gtk_text_view_scroll_mark_onscreen with the mark set as the "insert"
mark.

I'm not at all sure what's going on.  The SIGABRTs are all coming from
functions that free memory.  Any ideas as to what could be happening?

thanks,
wes