Re: Missing functionality GtkAction / GtkAccelMap

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Maarten Bosmans<mkbosmans gmail com> wrote:
> While developing my app, I ran into some limitations of GtkAction and
> the accelerator map.
> My app is in C#, so it uses the Gtk# bindings from Mono, but below I
> refer to the C api.
>
> It currently is not possible to activate an action without connecting
> it to a proxy widget. What
> I want to do is just:
>   gtk_action_new ()
>   gtk_action_set_accel_path ()
>   gtk_action_set_accel_group ()
>   gtk_action_connect_accelerator ()
> And then receive the activate signal on the action when the key
> assigned to the accell path
> is pressed. It seems that this is not possible without a proxy.
>
> Furthermore, it is not possible to assign multiple accelerators with
> an accel_path. I would
> like to be able to do:
>   gtk_accel_map_add_entry("<app>/path", key_up, 0)
>   gtk_accel_map_add_entry("<app>/path", key_end, 0)
> And have the action for that path activated for both the up and end
> key. Is this possible?
>
> If both problems really are missing functionality and can't be worked
> around easily, I'm
> willing to try to submit some patches, if this functionality is deemed useful.

Both interesting findings, please start by submitting bug reports, the
first (cannot
connect accelerator to action without a proxy) is a bug I would say, but
Im not sure it has a very easy fix.. (you need a toplevel to receive keyboard
events...).

Cheers,
      -Tristan