Re: Problem with Cross-compiling GTK+

Sean Eade had a problem with cross-compiling:
I am getting the following error when cross-compiling GTK+-2.12.11 (I
have also tried 2.14.4 but have other problems with that one)

/usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache: error while loading shared libraries:
libgobject-2.0.so.0: ......

From a post online I got the following solution to this (not sure if its
the right way to go though) I commented out the line in the makefile
that is trying to do this operation and the make continued. Have you
seen this before?

But after this I got the following error, which I can't fix:

/usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-csource: error while loading shared libraries:
/usr/TS7390GTK//lib/libgio-2.0.so.0: ELF file OS ABI invalid

So the problem now is with the gdk-pixbuf-csource binary of the host not
being able to read the traget library.

If you're merely cross-compiling on the host, it's most likely that something other than your compiler can't cope with the target architecture's binaries. My guess is it's the linker.

My employer has us x86 hosts to cross-compile all kinds of things for ARM, including GTK+. We do this using an open-source environment named scratchbox, which makes it easy to cross-build for all kinds of things. In fact, I just used that system on a Sony Vaio to build an entire Linux system which I'm about to flash onto an ARM OMAP based device.

If you can provide more info about your cross-compilation system, perhaps I can help you further. Also, if you want to look into scratchbox (http://www.scratchbox.org/), most people seem to be using the original scratchbox, which is actively developed, rather than scratchbox2.

Best regards,
Bob Murphy