Curious display/destruction/refresh behavior

We have developed several large embedded applications in GTK+.  Most of our
windows create their widgets more or less from top to bottom.  We've noted
that widgets pretty consistently appear on the screen in reverse of this
order, that is, from the bottom up.  They also disappear from the bottom up
when a window is destroyed.  When a window is covered by another application
program's window, then re-exposed, however, the widgets (often) can be seen
to refresh from the top down.  I just want to understand this curious
ordering.  Can anyone explain?  (I realize that this may not even be visible
on systems with more horsepower but it is quite visible in our embedded
PXA270 ARM-architecture system running GTK+ 2.14.)