Re: What, in detail, the GDK do?

A good book on programming for the X Window System  is "Xlib Programming
Manual" by Adrian Nye (O'Reilly & Associates, Inc").  I've been using it to
try building my own object-oriented "toolkit" using C++.  My stuff will never
be "production quality", but it really helps understand what is happening
at low levels.

Ed James