Re: Problem with two versions of glib...

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 07:34:47AM -0500, Henry W. Peters wrote:
> I was in the process of building Ardour, which uses GTK, the below pasted
> dialogue shows, what I think is my problem. I have done this before,
> going to the GTK web site, getting the dependencies, working my way to
> the GTK libraries themselves. Short of story, I now have two versions of
> glib on my Linux Debian Lenny system... both have what it looks to me, to
> be (somewhat differing) critical dependencies... (GNOME desktop, etc.).
> My question is: How do I get rid of one of them (probably the earliest
> version, which is 2.22.0), with out destroying my system?

The version you need to get rid of is the version that did *not* came
from Debian.

Never try to replace system packages with random hand-compiled stuff
unless you know what you are doing (which is defined as that you don't
need to ask how to fix things you break in the process).

I hope you did not install the other one to /usr.  If you installed
it to /usr/local or an even more reasonable place, `make uninstall'
should remove it again.

Then you can ./configure the new GLib version with a non-system --prefix
(e.g. something like ~/opt/glib) and install it there.  And set PATH,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to this other version when
compiling and running software with this new version.

Yeti