expander label widget question

Hello,

I have a GtkHBox that contains a GtkLabel and a GtkButton.  If I set this HBox to be a GtkExpander label widget (gtk_expander_set_label_widget), I can't click the button.  It seems like all of the X button presses are going only to the GtkExpander object.  The button's clicked() handler never gets called.  Any idea how to make this button clickable?

Hopefully my description makes sense.  If not, I can include some example code.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
-Brian.