gtk themes, missing icons ?

Hi @ll.

I finally suceeded in startin pitivi on nixos.
However I don't like the way I've done it so I'd like to ask wether there is a better way?

Can I tell an application where the installation directory of a theme such as gnome-icon-theme-2.22.0
is?

the gnome-icon-theme-2.22.0 theme directory contains
./share/icons/gnome/index.theme
./share/icons/hicolor/index.theme
However only the gnome directory contains audio-x-generic icons.

Which is the way to tell an application to either use the gnome directory only
or fallback to that direoctory?

Redirecting me to the documentaion is fine..

Thanks
Marc Weber