Re: How to use GtkAllocation to find absolute x,y co-ordinates?

you can access allocation values after the widget is realized, not
right after you create it. so, to make sure you get it correct you can
set an event handler for size-allocate signal

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/GtkWidget.html#GtkWidget-size-allocate