How to use GtkAllocation to find absolute x,y co-ordinates?

Hi All,

I want to find the absolute x,y co-ordinates and width and height of a widget. I looked at GTK API reference and found GtkAllocation. I tried  it in my program but

gint x = widget->allocation.x ;

returned -1. What does that mean? I want x,y coordinates in terms of the pixel values. I also tried widget->allocation.y but that also returned -1.

Am i going wrong somewhere? I used this statement immediately after creating the widget.

--
Regards,
Harinandan S