gdk_input_add loops

Hi all

I wanted to use gdk_input_add to check when data is available on my socket for reading. What i do is, i accept a connection and use gdk_input_add to monitor the socket returned by accept(). Now somehow gdk_input_add keeps on calling the callback function even after i have read the data once. Why is this happening. I want my callback to be called only when something new is passed by the client side of my program.  But somehow the functions keeps getting called and it keeps reading the same data again and again.

Kindly help me solve this problem

Regards

Devvrat