gtk-2.12.11, adjusting PKG_CONFIG_PATH

I've seen many similar posts on the net, but haven't crossed the right one that helps me yet. Pardon if this is a repost.

so basically when trying to configure gtk-2.12.11 I get the message,
checking for BASE_DEPENDENCIES... configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.13.5
atk >= 1.9.0 pango >= 1.17.3 cairo >= 1.2.0) were not met:

No package 'atk' found
No package 'pango' found
No package 'cairo' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS
and BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

Meanwhile,

rpm -q atk
atk-1.22.0-23.1
rpm -q pango
pango-1.20.1-20.1
rpm -q cairo
cairo-1.4.14-32.1
and just installed glib-2.16.4

So I meet all of these requirements mentioned. I looked at some other posts with people having a problem with setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH, and tried just setting it to wherever glib, atk, cairo and pango are.

I first attempted:
$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
and got the same results with ./configure

$ find /usr/local -name "glib-2.0.pc" -print
$ /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc

however, I cannot find atk.pc, pango.pc or cairo.pc..
I tried setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH to the folders I found under
$ find / -name '{Z}' where Z is atk, cairo or pango
but this too did not fix the problem.

Any ideas? or pointing in the right direction?
Thanks in advance!