Re: Newbie Question about Navigating API doco

Hello

Navigating the API doc is very easy once you've understood how it is organised.

The API is divided in 5 main topics. I think the first three are the one that are most used.

Topic 1, GTK+ Overview: gives you the overview of GTK+, i.e. what it is and how you can use it under different
environments like Windows and Unix-like systems.

Topic 2, GTK+ Core Reference: this is perhaps not the best part to start with because there are sometimes concepts that
you understand later, when you have written some (little) GTK+ application. It conatains also main concepts that are
widely used in the widgets. As a newbie I would read "Main loop and Events", "Signals" and "Types".

Topic 3, GTK+ Widgets and Objects: here you have the documentation of the GTK+ Widgets you can use in your apps. This is
far more a listing of constants, functions, macros, signals, properties, etc. that are declared within the widgets. Some
widgets have explanations about how to use them but it cannot replace a good old tutorial  :)  At the top of each widget
page you'll find a navigation bar with which you can navigate quickly through the page.

Sometimes you see something and you don't have a clue where it belongs nor where to search for it. On the bottom of the
start page you'll find a link to the "index" page. You'll find there a (more or less) complete list of the actual
constants, functions, macros, signals, properties, etc.

> The point is, if say in the helloWorld program in the
> tutorial I change all instances of the string "delete_event" to
> "monkey" the program still compiles.

Do you also have changed this line

  g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (window), "delete_event",
		      G_CALLBACK (delete_event), NULL);

  g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (window), "monkey",
		      G_CALLBACK (monkey), NULL);
???

If so then you did a mistake. The second argument of the g_signal_connect function expects the name of a signal
(internal name of the signal in GTK+, not the name of a function) and there isn't a "monkey" signal, hence you get the
message that the signal `monkey' is invalid.

> I can't find a reference to "delete_event" in the API.  But possibly
> not looking in the right place.

I'm afraid so  :)  each widget has it own delete_event that is inherited from the GtkWidget class. Hence you will find the
documentation of this particular signal under the GtkWidget page. If you would have searched it in the "index" page you
would have found it  :)

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/GtkWidget.html#id4180743

Regards

Pablo