font problems in gtk-2 apps

I'm seeing font display problems in applications using gtk-2.  The
problems began after upgrading many of my ports such as fontconig (I'm
using FreeBSD).  For example, gkrellm2 looks like:
http://jrm.ath.cx/misc/messed_up_fonts.png.  As you can see the fonts
are quite large and don't fit properly.  Before the update they were
much smaller.

I tried adding values like -gtk-font-name = "helvetica 11"- in
~/.gtkrc-2.0, but it doesn't change the problem fonts.  It only
affects other fonts such as menu listings in gkrellm.

I tried setting FC_DEBUG to various values and started some gtk-2
apps.  There was nothing obvious in the output (at least to me).  If
you are interested/willing the output is at http://jrm.ath.cx/misc/.

I also played with the DPI settings in X and changed the font path in
the xorg configuration file, but this didn't help.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to figure this out?  Also,
if this isn't the appropriate place to be posting a question like
this, I apologize.

Joey