GTK+ introspection

Consider this a feature request. It would be useful to have a program
with which you can point at any running GTK application, and find out
what widgets you're seeing and what names have been set. This way one
can figure out what to put in the .gtkrc files to edit the appearance
of those widgets (or, for GTK beginners, it would be useful simply to
learn what widgets an application is using).

I paste the following conversation from IRC:

hastesaver: [It would be awesome to have a program that lets you point
at arbitrary widgets of a running program and ask what they are, what
their names are etc., but I don't imagine that's possible :)]
jmd: If it's been built with glade, then it's much easier.
hastesaver: hmm, I can guess why. And if it hasn't?
jmd: hastesaver, But you're right.  It's embarrassing that gtk doesn't
have such a tool.  It's kind of basic in other widget sets that were
devised 20 years ago.
jmd: Like Athena's editres program.
[...]
jmd: hastesaver, I don't think it would be too difficult to write such a
thing for Gtk+

Editres, http://www.xfree86.org/current/editres.1.html and
http://www.rahul.net/kenton/editres.html, is a similar tool for the X
toolkit.

Is anyone interested in writing such a tool, or describing how it could
be done, for GTK+?

[Ignore the Subject line; I didn't know what to call it.]

Thanks,
--
Shreevatsa R