gtk1.2 and gtk2.0

I'm a newer to X-window. It's my first time to setup GUI for linux. i meet problems:

when i install some software, run configure script, errors occurs: cannot find gtk-config;

I install glib 1.2 and gtk 1.2 from the Fedoracore8 disk, the configure still tell me:cannot find gtk-config;

I've install gtk 2.0, and the pkg-config script runs well.

what can i do next? Help me.. Write a perl script nammed gtk-configure is a good idea, but how to write it?