Re: LGPL question

Priya Suryanarayanan wrote:
> I have been developing GUIs for Windows using the GTK+ libraries, and
> distributing the GUIs (batch file, executables and GTK+ libraries) free.
>

> On re-reading the provisions of the LGPL, I now have a doubt whether one
> is expected to distribute the sources as well. Can someone please
> clarify the following - if I freely distribute the GTK+ libraries
> alongwith my executables as I have been doing, then I am then required
> to distribute my source code as well (or document how it can be
> accessed).

Why do you doubt it?  The LGPL'd libraries can be used in a
closed-source application without any legal problems or requirements
concerning the source of your own application.  The library (GTK)
itself, or any modifications you make to GTK itself, is governed by the
LGPL.  If you distribute binary dlls for that, you need to also provide
a way for your customers to get the source to GTK (easy enough) if they
desire it.