Re: GTK Widgets drawing an undesired background

Hi Lovelace,
Interesting topic. Have you managed to find a solution yet?

On 8/29/07, Lovelace Luquette <luquette bu edu > wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 09:44 -0400, zentara wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:02:46 -0400
>> zentara <zentara1 sbcglobal net> wrote:
>

>> So you can set it to empty, for full program control over colors,
>> or set it to a custom rc file for the program.
>
> you're missing his point, i think. he is using an engine that should
> result in no widgets drawing anything at all, except a very simple
> element that his engine renders. yet widgets *are* rendering elements
> that do not go through his engine. he thinks that is wrong, and i would
> tend to agree with him (if it indeed the case)
>
> --p

Heya, sorry for the long delay in responding.

Unfortunately, Paul is right here.  What I've got is a theme engine which
specifies every single draw_* function that the GtkStyle class allows me
to define (and additionally, the set_background function).  All of my
functions (with the exception of draw_flat_box) do nothing; draw_flat_box
draws a solid white rectangle over its entire area.

The problem I'm having is that certain widgets are somehow still managing
to draw stuff using functions that I can't seemingly override.  I'm
testing this all using Richard Stellingwerf's "The Widget Factory"--and
from its default setup, the widgets which are still drawing data are:
        1) Text entry, combobox and dropdown widgets.  These widgets have
           correctly stopped drawing their outlines, arrows and button
           areas, but are still drawing their own text.  The only reason
           that this irks me is because I've overridden both draw_string
           and draw_layout, which I assumed were responsible for all text
           handling (even if a widget did handle its own internals through
           functions that bypass the draw_* GtkStyle functions.
        2) Tables.  Tables are drawing a background for their column
           headers (solid black) and a background for their entry area (a
           color which is being retrieved from a gtkrc file).
        3) Menubars and toolbars.  Both are drawing solid black
           backgrounds which, as far as I can tell, are not being
           specified in any gtkrc file.

I really haven't poked around in the GTK code enough (maybe only for half
an hour or so) to even rule out some gtkrc file supplying the black
background value; so I'm not too sure of anything yet.  I was mainly
asking here to see if it was just common knowledge that such-and-such
widget draws a background that currently can't be avoided.

Anyway, thanks for the responses Paul and Z, hopefully I'll get some time
to poke around the GTK code and answer this for myself.

Joe Luquette