GTK+2.0-2.10.14-2pclos2007 upgrade error

After installing PCLinxOS, I wanted to compile Pidgin.
 While trying to configure and make the program from
source, I first received the error that I needed to
install gettext.  After installing gettext, I then
received the error that I needed to install the GTK
Development Headers.  I went to the Synaptic Package
Manager and located the GTK Development Headers but
was told I had to download other updates also
including an update to GTK 2.0.  After it appeared to
install all the programs, I received the error as
follows:

While installing package gtk+2.0-2.10.14-2pclos2007:

gtk-update-icon-cache: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
g_once_init_enter_impl

After that, Firefox, Synaptic Package Manager, and
other programs will not load any longer.  Can anyone
tell me how to rectify this problem?  I am a relative
newcomer to Linux so don't make it sound too technical
 ;)

http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC