Drag-n-drop between tabs

I am interested in enhancing the drag-n-drop functionality of the GIMP and am unable to find whether GTK+ supports the feature I desire.

The GIMP uses a notebook widget for docking various windows and it is often convenient to have the Layers window and Channels present in the same notebook (as shown in the first figure in http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-docks.html). The problem I wish to solve is being able to drag a layer from the Layers tab over to the Channels tab. This is currently only possible (to my knowledge) if I detach one of the tabs and thus far I have been unable to find how this would be implemented.

If there is a way to do this, I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. If not, would it be feasible to enhance the notebook widget so that hovering the pointer over a tab while a mouse button is depressed for a certain duration (one or two seconds) would raise that tab?