menu accelerators not working

Anyone willing to help diagnose a problem?

I'm using the GtkUIManager to build my menus from GtkActionEntrys and an
xml description.  Everything works great except for the accelerators.  I
can't seem to get them working at all, even the stock quit.

As a test I wrote a very simple application with only one "Quit" item
and some test code to query the accelerator map for the accelerators
associated with each menu item.  The accelerator for the quit action
is in the map and is the expected string ("<control>q"). Pressing
control q however on my computer does not activate the action.

I'm sure that I missed some small detail (activation code or
something) in my reading of the API docs.  If anyone could point me to
the relevant info or documentation I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
- Philip