GtkAdjustment & scrolling

Would appreciate any comments on the following:

My scrolled window is nicely scrolling but not with the step_ or page_ increments I want. Any values I set are promptly overwritten by defaults(?) such as step_increment equal one tenth of page_size.

When should I set increment values to be retained and used for scrolling.

Is it correct that
a) lower and upper are expressed in pixels of the large window part of which is showing in the viewport, and

b) value, step_increment, page_increment and page_size are, possibly fractional, pixel values in the trough of the scroll bar?

c) How do I get the program scroll to a particular coordinate X in the large window.

Any help or reference to documentation welcome. Thanks,
Enno