accessing widget pointers

Hello,

I'm a GTK newbie, and I'm wondering what people normally do in their signal
callbacks to access the pointers to the widgets that they need. I have a
separate callbacks.c, and all of the GtkWidget pointers are file-scope
variables in main.c. Do you normally pass them in as additional data to the
signal handler? Make them global?

I'm not using glade right now, so it's apis won't help, I'm just wondering
about best practices.

Thanks,
Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier digitaltorque ca>
direction." --Albert Einstein