File chooser error accessing non-present floppy

While we're on the subject of the file chooser...

I have an app that opens a file chooser to import data from a removable
drive. In its Windows port it tries to be helpful by setting the initial
selection to the most likely drive to have the data - it selects a USB
memory stick if one is present, or otherwise the A: floppy drive.

The problem is that when the file chooser accesses the floppy drive an
exception is reported by Windows before the chooser reports that there is no
drive present. There is a GTK pop-up saying the device is not ready, but
that is preceded by a Windows (non-GTK) pop-up titled "Windows - No Disk"
saying "Exception Processing Message 0xc0000013 Parameters
0x000007FEFD35E75C 0XfffffA800185CA50 0x000007FEFD35E75C 0x000007FEFD35E75C"
Cancel / Try Again / Continue.

The same happens if I double-click the A: drive in the file chooser when
there is no floppy in it.

Anyone know anything about this?

Ian