Installation Problem on Mac OS X -- PLEASE HELP!!!

I've been trying to install gtk+ on my Mac(Mac OS X 10.4.10). I got this
error saying:

checking for X... no
configure: error: X development libraries not found

I definitely have X11 on my Mac but I don't know how to use it in terminal?

I have tried fink but after installing fink the machine couldn't recognise
all the packages I installed before and in fink I couldn't do anything as it
gave me thousands of errors whatever I tried to install...

So I just want to know how and where i can find this x development tool for
mac.

Please help me as my supervisor will kill me if I don't sort this out soon:(

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!!!:D

Jing