Re: newcomer query - seeing other apps Xwindows

Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:
On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 23:24 +0100, Godfrey Nix wrote:
Hi,

I am a newcomer to the list so don't know if this has been asked before
or not. What I want to do is to be able to view the structure of all the
windows open on a display, and to both read values from them (eg see
what is in a text area) and to send events to control them.

For example, I would like to be able to 'record' the buttons and menus
that I activate whilst doing some work, so that I can 'play back' as
part of a training session for others.

I have looked through the library functions, read tutorials but so far I
cannot find anything that helps. I don't want yet more help on drawing
widgets in my own app., I want to 'take control' of widgets in other
apps! I realise there are security implications, but I do want to (if
possible) have the ability to record my actions for use in student
training sessions.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be appreciated, or a
comment that it is not possible (if that is the case).

Not sure if this is what is being looked for, but checkout LDTP
http://ldtp.freedesktop.org/

Also, if you enable accessibility, you should be able to get the hooks you want through atk. Checkout atk for documentation on how to do it yourself, and accerciser for an application that should be able to access other applications.