newcomer query - seeing other apps Xwindows

Hi,

I am a newcomer to the list so don't know if this has been asked before
or not. What I want to do is to be able to view the structure of all the
windows open on a display, and to both read values from them (eg see
what is in a text area) and to send events to control them.

For example, I would like to be able to 'record' the buttons and menus
that I activate whilst doing some work, so that I can 'play back' as
part of a training session for others.

I have looked through the library functions, read tutorials but so far I
cannot find anything that helps. I don't want yet more help on drawing
widgets in my own app., I want to 'take control' of widgets in other
apps! I realise there are security implications, but I do want to (if
possible) have the ability to record my actions for use in student
training sessions.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be appreciated, or a
comment that it is not possible (if that is the case).
--
Godfrey Nix <godfrey gnnix co uk>