Re: (severe) performance issues

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 12:43 -0700, David J. Andruczyk wrote:
> I do this already ahead of time . I ONLY update the labels when
> absolutely necessary..
>
> As a workaround I moved t GTKEntries which did NOT have the
> performance problem,  though I can't quite make them appear like a
> GtkLabel in all instances, since there is NO  other wisget that can
> be used to display rapidlychanging text. (it's a textual display
> for a realtime datalogger, so fast updating is wanted)

if you were working in C++ and using gtkmm, then its actually very easy
to do this with just a drawing area. you just create a derived widget
with its own pango layout, and a "set text" method. then in the expose
method, just tell the pango layout to draw itself within the drawing
area. no resize, no width computation, etc.

in C, its quite a bit more complex, but can be done.

--p