Re: spinner widget

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 10:51 -0500, James Pelletier wrote:
> I've been working on a spinner widget that is basically just the spinner
> portion of a spinbutton.
>
> Although the spinbutton handles numbers fairly cleanly, it doesn't seem
> to work well when trying to use it for other purposes. Although you can
> use the signals to have it display text (like the days of the week
> example), it does not handle user typing in a value well. Also, since
> there is no way to change how it looks, it always appears as an entry
> that the user can type in.
>
> My solution to this is a stand-alone spinner widget. The spinner will
> just appear as a pair of arrows and hold a double value and the
> developer could use that value to control a plain label, image, or
> anything else.
>
> The spinner as I have written it derives from GtkRange and has "wrap"
> and "snap_to_ticks" properties (the same as the spinbutton).

Hi James,
   This list is for general questions about gtk+, usually that means
support for people trying to compile or use the gtk+ api, might
I suggest you send this mail to gtk-devel-list gnome org, which is
about the development of the gtk+ libraries.

FWIW, I think that what you've done is a really great idea - IMO
widgets should be as simplistic as possible and combinations of
entries/spinners should be done in more high-level "composite
widgets" - great idea... however the fact that we already have
a GtkSpinButton that exists and has a public API that
"cannot be broken" may mean that we cant take advantage of such
a redesign/refactoring...

One question I'd have to put to you: Do you think its possible
with the code you've written to make the existing GtkSpinButton
use your spinner instead... without breaking the existing
spinbutton api ?

Anyway, try sending this mail to the gtk+ development list - I'm
curious to see what they have to say on the matter ;-)

Cheers,
                -Tristan