Changing GTK2 fonts independly of GNOME tools

1. Sorry for my bad English :-)
2. The question is simple:
how to change default fonts for gtk2 applications by hands,
without any GNOME tools? What file and how should be changed?
3. I think answer for this question should be placed into
FAQ. I try to find answer by google. Many people have such questions,
and main sentenses is "gtk2 ignores my gtkrc file" and
"themes? what themes? I just want to change default fonts".

Regards, Sergey