Text Tag "direction" property not respected?

Hi,
I have a BIDI question regarding the Text Tag property "direction". It
says in the documentation it can be set to TEXT_DIR_LTR, TEXT_DIR_RTL
or TEXT_DIR_NONE. However I cant detect that it makes any difference.
The only way I can get the desired behaviour is using Unicode
directional markers but that is sub optimal in my case
I've tried both on both Ubuntu and win32 and they behave the same.

I've attached a screen shot of the issue and a pygtk example (the
embedded LTR text "1-left-to-right-2" should be displayed exactly like
that).

Regards,
Fredrik