Issue when launching configure for GTK 2.8

Hi mates,
firstly request apologizes for a single question as
the following.

* Context details *
I've tried recently to get the last gtk.
I'm really newbie with Linux.
My system is Debian with kernel 2.6.18-4-686

//please, make me know whatever lacking information

* Issue *
When I launch this instruction (in brackets);

"./configure --prefix=/lib/gtk2.8/ --x-libraries=/
usr/lib/gs-esp/8.15/ --mandir=/usr/share/man/
--info=/usr/share/info --sbindir=/ sbin/
--bindir=/bin/ --enable-man
PKG_CONFIG=/usr/bin/pkg-config --exec-prefix=/
usr/bin"

the output messages report the following:
"checking for a BSD-compatible install...
/usr/bin/install -c
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
checking for native Win32... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: C compiler  cannot create
executables"

* Question *

After looking fast-reading to configure script code,
and get tired, have decided forward my questions to
you (list):
1 - Do I really need to build any executable?
2 - Is this message, directly or not, related with any
other configure's option?
(e.g.: --exec-prefix)

* Agreements *
Advanced thanks for any responser

Xavier

Sé un Mejor Viajero
¿Quieres saber cómo? ¡Deja que otras personas te ayuden!
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/reto/viaje.html