Color confusion

Hi,

I am working with both a pixbuf and a GtkDrawingArea, which I would like to have in sync. The problem I am having is with matching colors between the two. I use gdk_color_parse() to get a GdkColor in both cases. In the case of the pixbuf I use gdk_colormap_alloc_color to get a pixel (using the system colormap). I then fill the pixbuf with the resulting pixel and modify the GtkDrawingArea background with the GdkColor. The colors do not match. My guess is that the colormaps don't match, but I have no idea how the get the colormap the GtkDrawingArea is using. And this may not be my problem. Does anyone know how can I get my colors to match?
Bill