Default size of a drawing area

Hi.

I have a widget (in this case, a drawing area), and I would like to set a
default, initial size for it. gtk_widget_set_size_request, or the older
gtk_drawing_area_size are not satisfactory, because they set a minimal size,
and the WM prevents me from shrinking the window. I would like something
that works like gtk_window_set_default_size, but taking into account all
widgets around.

I found that using gtk_widget_set_size_request, realizing the window, and
then re-calling gtk_widget_set_size_request to cancel the minimal size do
the trick, but it is not really elegant.

Is there a better way?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George