Re: GTK+ 2.10.7 released

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 05:11:58AM -0800, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> But what matters to me is that the 5.28 FAQ says gtk+ does not leak memory,

5.28 explains why memory consumption shown by some tools
that people interpret as leaks cannot be simply interpreted
so.

To claim absolutely something does not leak memory (or is
free of other bugs) one has to prove it.  Therefore such
claims are seldom absolute -- and never for systems of Gtk+
complexity.

> I didn't claim that gtk+-2.8.20 had memory leaks, my point was that
> if I see 9 memory leaks related bugs fixed, can I at all trust the claim
> about no memory leaks ?
>
> So, that's why I asked the questions I asked and suggested the clarification
> of "It doesn't" claim by splitting into two separate statements - one for
> gtk+-2.8.20 and the other for 2.10.*.

Read it `there are no known memory leaks in the current
version' instead of assuming the absence of memory leaks was
formally proved.  The trust quetion is something everyone
has to answer for himself.

Yeti

--
Whatever.